NEW BLOG

Follow my continued adventures at annsterzinger.com.

Friday, January 16, 2015

Je suis Charlie hypocrisy: The nutshell version

It seems people have three basic ways of curtailing others' freedom of speech: government, violence, and hounding them out of jobs. If you support any of those three, you're a hypocrite if you piously moan about the other two.

(I suppose there's also social ostracism, but if it isn't keeping you from finding employment, a. Don't be such a wuss; and b. That can actually let you know when you're kind of being an asshole, or neurotic. Unless the person who's ostracizing you is an asshole, or neurotic. Maybe you're both jerks. Unfortunately Twitter doesn't leave much space for soul-searching.)


3 comments:

  1. A long time ago, I made up my mind that I would never "refuse to associate" with any human being on account of any opinion or idea held by or attributed to said human. I think this is a fine rule for living, and it always surprises me to realize that it is so seldom embraced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your wisdom seems to have paid off well... not financially, but you probably have the finest catalogue of books going.

      Delete

Anyone can post, but please, if you want to be anonymous, come up with an amusing handle so we can tell you apart. Thanks!